Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Room Re-org

I worked on the craft room this weekend but I did not get as much done as I had wanted. I have a desk that is a huge L-shaped desk with a corner unit where the computer fits. The way I originally had it set up was the left L side and the corner facing the door, this way my back would not be facing the door when working. For Feng Shui purposes, your back should never face the door unless you have a mirror facing the door.
Position of Your Desk in a Room or Office
In the practice of feng shui, the happiness, success and prosperity you have in your business life is greatly influenced by the position of your desk. The optimal position is one in which your desk is set back to view as much of the room as possible, with your back to a wall. You should also have a view of both a window and the door, but never in direct line with the door. Diagonal desk and door alignment is best. The doorway or window should never be directly behind your back; to do so would invite negative sha chi.

Since the desk is so big, this configuration divided the room and made the room look smaller. I decided to move the desk to the corner where both sides would butt against the walls. I couldn't believe how much the room opened up. Even if I have to hang mirrors all over that room, it won't matter that my back will be facing the door a little on an angle. I like having the floor space, enough room to spread out and cut fabric.

Once the desk was moved, I spent the rest of the day reorganizing my file cabinet and cleaning the clutter from my desk. That is a big problem for me, controlling the clutter and finding a place for things. "A place for everything and everything in its place." Isn't that the saying neat freaks came up with to justify their OCD? (Actually, I wish I was a neat freak, it would have made this project much easier.) I bought some cute storage boxes at Target but still have a long way to go.

The only real furniture in the room now is the desk and a bookshelf. The remaining are piles of bins and boxes that need to be sorted. This is a layout of the room and how I am thinking of setting it up once I get a sewing table. I think I will get rid of the tall book case and just make that entire wall storage for supplies and fabric. Then my dress mannequin can go by the window and freak out the neighbors at night. MUUUAAAHHH!



Posted by T'aowyn :: 5:39 PM :: 0 comments:

---------------oOo---------------